Friday, November 7, 2008

No Self-Control

I have a confession to make. I played Christmas music today. Yes, I know I'm pathetic. It was only some quiet piano music. There were no jingle bells or big bands but, alas, it was Christmas music.

I admit, I have no self-restraint. Every year I tell myself to wait until after Thanksgiving and for good reason. Last year I was sick of Christmas music by Dec. 20th. But seriously, when Starbucks is pushing their Peppermint Mochas in my face while marketing Yo-Yo-Ma's new Christmas cd, what's a girl to do?

So I am tiptoeing lightly into the season. I know this may be sacrilegious to some people and I tend to agree with you. But I have no self-control. I'm allowing myself one album per day and they can only be calming and instrumental like George Winston's December. No voices singing, no big bands swinging and no sleigh bells ringing. Just some nice background music to make me feel better about the cold and wet weather. How's that for justification?

Oh, and I'm not allowed to pull out Charlie Brown Christmas until post-Thanksgiving. It may be instrumental but I do have some standards.

9 comments:

Holly said...

I share your shame--except I've already heard Charlie Brown at least three times! :)

Heidi said...

Okay Edie. You and I have never met, yet I feel COMPELLED to share this with you.

I have been listening to nothing but Christmas music since Oct 1st and I think it's PERFECTLY normal!!See my blog entry at

http://lifeasagoble.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-also-think-this-is-perfectly-normal.html

I can't get enough of it! It's perfect - it can be the most wonderful time of the year ALL year round! Happy listening. :)

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of how nice it was to visit you last January when you were still listening to Christmas music. :) Love you Edes!

edie said...

Holly! I'm jealous. Enjoy "Christmas Time Is Here" for me. I get warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

Heidi - I aspire to your level of festive-ness. I checked out your blog entry and I'll have to take a look at that album. I buy two new Christmas albums every year and I'm still narrowing down my choices. It's tough.

Erica - Come again this January - oh, the fun we would have!

Lisa P said...

Charlie Brown's Christmas is my favorite...but I do wait until December or I'm doomed.

Diane Davis said...

i just saw somebody put up their christmas tree on saturday. yes i did. so i think you are safe on the christmas music...

Anonymous said...

I was at my (our) favorite store - Barnes and Noble - and I listened to Harry Connick's new Christmas album - and thought of you.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can eat bacon, bake homemade bread regularly, have a love affair with King Arthur's flour products AND stay as thin as you MUST have a LOT of self control.

Heidi said...

Oh man - I just bought the Yo-Yo-Ma Songs of Joy and Peace album.

It's breath taking....

Thanks for mentioning it.

edie said...

I'm so glad you like it, Heidi! I can't stop listening to it. For some reason the James Taylor song turns me to complete mush. I'm such a sap.