With the news of Bristol Palin's pregnancy all over the media, I have to say that Barack Obama's response is worth noting:
"Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president."
Obama said reporters should "back off these kinds of stories" and noted that he was born to an 18-year-old mother.
"How a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics, and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that's off-limits." (from CNN.com)
Well said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree, Edie! I really appreciated his comments and felt that he was very respectful of their family. There have already been comments by pundits and politicos that have trashed their family for their daughter's mistake in judgment. I know, as a sinner who has made many mistakes, I wouldn't want my mistakes broadcast, critiqued, and "spun" all over the news. I can't imagine how this poor scared teenager must feel. I really respect Obama's campaign for giving the family privacy. I just hope that the rest of the political spin doctors can do the same.
I was also really moved by what he said. I think that is a reason I'm an Obama fan... when candidates (on all sides) feel they have to throw compassion, common sense, and reason out the door for political gain (or even survival) he keeps his humanity.
I am not trying to make your blog one of controversy, and I agree that families are off limits.... but.... I just have a hard time with her many of her politics, abstinence only education being near the top of a long list.
I was also very proud of Obama for his comments. AT a time when campaigning can get ugly.....Obama stayed true to his word to try and keep it clean and respectful. Especially when they could have jumped ALL over their parties family values platform.
I like Palin so far. She's definitely interesting....but like Diane, there are a few things that turn me away....her stance on the environment and her abstinence only for sex education.
But I am still intrigued......
Post a Comment