Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Random Breakfast Musings

Carbs should not be touted as breakfast food. Cereal has been out of the running as a breakfast choice in the Finnell house for quite some time. Do you want to feel like you haven't eaten for three days at 9AM? Go ahead - you go for those Cheerios. Your attempt at early morning restraint will be shattered when you need that Egg McMuffin at 10. But for some reason I thought pancakes would deliver and carry me hunger free until lunch. Not so. I made blueberry pancakes this morning (and no, this is not a normal weekday occurence) and by 9:15 I might as well have eaten puffed air on a plate. Granted, we ate breakfast at 6:30 but surely pancakes have more staying power than that? Nope, they don't. This business of eating multiple breakfasts in order to make it to lunch is beginning to make me feel like a hobbit. From now on, carbs must be coupled with protein.

Bacon gets my vote.

12 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

I was going to ask what you recommend. Seriously, bacon is your standby? I'm currently knee-deep in "watching what I'm eating" and would definitely be open to suggestions on filling breakfasts. So far, when I have time I opt for an egg and English muffin--it does fit with your protein/carb formula. But I do miss my oatmeal squares cereal.

edie said...

I'm kidding a bit on the bacon. It's not my standby but I seriously love it. Everything is better with bacon. But because I respect my arteries, I usually go for nuts sprinkled on oatmeal (and along with chopped nectarines this is a splendid start to your day), eggs or peanut butter on toast.

K said...

Well... there is always turkey bacon.

Diane Davis said...

my most filling breakfast is oatmeal. it always lasts me until lunch. of course my breakfast is at 9am and has to last until 1:00 or so... i can't even imagine eating at 6:30am. but i do eat instant oatmeal with frozen blueberries and/or a little flax and i feel very satisified.

i feel the need to say that this is my program when i'm doing well. when i'm working hard to keep the extra 50 lbs on my body, then it is carbs and donuts.

i love bacon.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

yummmm, peanut butter on toast gets my vote...as well as some eggs if I dont mind cleaning the pan.

btw- bacon and yummy are synonyms in my book.

Scott Family said...

Hey, what's wrong with being a hobbit??? I kinda like eating a little every few hours...but then, I have gotten used to that routine with 2 little hobbits of my own who eat a huge meal, then are hungry at 9am, 11am and then 3:30pm and so on...I think I may have some dietitians that back up my hobbit idea :)
Coby

Lisa P said...

Having blood sugar issues, we have joined you in the no-straight-carb meals, and we all feel better for it.

Our breakfast proteins include: pb, eggs, turkey sausage, ham (in eggs, on toast, etc), cottage cheese and protein powder.

This is my solution to the pancake issue: put protein powder right in the batter. Then you have the fun of pancakes with the "full" of oatmeal!

Anonymous said...

Bacon!
Yes!!!
One more reason to enter Finnell Fandom.
Luke

edie said...

Hello, Kristen! Yes, turkey bacon is certainly an option to add to the list. I'll stick with the pig, though. Everything in moderation - more or less. : ) Glad to know there are fellow bacon lovers out there in blogland.

Coby - I think you are on to something. Maybe eating hobbit style is not so bad after all.

Lisa - Thanks for the great suggestion on the protein powder. My pancakes may have been redeemed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Edes! You got me addicted to those Orowheat English Muffins. They even make the "double fiber" version. Perfect for me! Adding peanut butter does the trick. Actually though this is my mid-morning snack. I've already eaten by 6:30am most of the time too. And I agree with Coby, picking throughout the day is the best way to go. :)

Dionne Sincire said...

Oatmeal does the trick for me. But I'm with you Edie....Goooooooo, Bacon!

Sarah said...

Ha Ha Ha!! :) I've been catching up on your blog ... reading out-of-order (of posting, that is).

I say, Add flaxseed! Add flaxseed!

Then you won't be hungry until 9:30, at least!! At which point you may cheerfully resume hobbit style eating habits.

Hobbit Habits. I think we have the title for a new nutrition book.