Friday, August 1, 2008

Washington Primary Reading

There is nothing quite like reading the WA Voters' Pamphlet before the primaries. Let's face it, the post-primary candidates are trying so hard to be moderate that they can come across as quite dull, which makes for boring reading. But before the primaries? The mix of candidates are eclectic and opinionated with candidate statements that make you sit up and take notice. I mean, where would Washington be without the candidate who wants to amend the Constitution so the War Power Act will be delegated by the state legislatures instead of Congress? Or the candidate who has invented an air engine that allows an automobile to operate solely on air? And don't forget the candidate who has taken to calling our governor, Christine"The Cover-Up Queen" Gregoire. But my personal favorite? Hold onto your spaceboots, people. My favorite is none other than Goodspaceguy Nelson. Yes, that's right, Goodspaceguy. And what is his platform? Ironically, Goodspaceguy wants to colonize space, starting with colonies in the Earth's orbit and moving later to the orbits of the Moon and Mars. Oh, and he also "wants tall buildings and more movies to be made in Washington State," but I'm sure that's secondary to the space stuff. I'm not sure he'll be a good fit for D.C. but I'm quite sure he would be the life of the party.

It's pretty significant that we live in a place where so many people can put their hats into the political arena. And even though most of the more unorthodox candidates have no chance in our current party system, I appreciate people who have the courage to go out on a limb when they know deep inside they can't win. So I gotta say to the more eclectic candidates out there running for office, thanks for putting yourself out there and making your not-so-mainstream ideas public knowledge. I may have had a chuckle or two at your expense but I sincerely admire your determination and conviction.

The moral of this post is read your state's voters' pamphlet if you haven't already. You'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll run for office, but change my name to Badspaceguy so I can run against Goodspaceguy. That would be awesome.

Diane Davis said...

I could never vote for a person who was opposed to the colonization of space. I mean, shouldn't we (that being, the United States) own everything? Sorry Dave, unless you change your platform you don't have my vote.

Brazenlilly said...

Remember when Dave was ASB prez? Good times. See...he even has previous experience.