
As I've mentioned previously, I love to bake. Everyone has hobbies they enjoy and this has become one of my favorite pastimes. This week I thought I would try an upside-down nectarine cake made with whole grains. I had some nectarines on hand and thought this would be a great recipe to try. Isn’t it pretty? I think so. Too bad it tasted like crap.
This was my first foray into the land of whole grain dessert baking. This cake used whole wheat pastry flour and unrefined sugars and I had high hopes. As I put the pan in the oven I envisioned a blog post about my new adventures in baking with whole grains and the decadent results. Come to think of it, maybe if you start writing a blog post in your head before something actually happens you are begging for disaster. Maybe this doomed me from the start. But I digress. As I pulled the cake out of the oven and the scent of cinnamon wafted through the air I was already counting this as a baking triumph – until the first awful bite. This cake was dry. Like Sahara desert, pass me a litre of water so I can choke this puppy down dry. Like my husband is cracking up laughing because it’s so terrible dry. I’m sad to say that a good portion of the cake ended up in the trash and cake should never end up in the trash. It was that bad.
I’m a little discouraged but I’m not out yet. I’m hoping that baking with whole grains will make me feel better about serving baked goods to my family but on some level I think a dessert is a dessert is a dessert. Still, I’m on a mission here. Whole grains, I will conquer you. Next up – bread.
I’ll keep you posted.
6 comments:
Been there before. Some things are just not meant to be healthy. I think Cake is one of those things.
I do have Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, though, and she has several good dessert recipes. We've made the oatmeal cookies (with whole grain, zucchini, and banana) and they are pretty good. Want me to e-mail some of her recipes to you?
but the picture is so lovely... it looks AMAZING! Really, it was that bad? I love a pineapple up-side-down cake!
I wouldn't have been able to tell that it didn't taste good by looking at the picture. I'm so glad that you're not going to give up. What an encouragement. I'm sure that the bread will turn out better. :)
Don't they say you have to try something ten times before you may like it???
:) just a thought.
lol.
it sure looks pretty though.
Yeah, I'm with Alli. Just sneak some veggies in (hey, it had fruit to start with, right? That's one of the good food groups!) ...
I often add flaxseed meal to recipes (mainly pancakes). Makes me feel slightly better about serving my children fried cake with syrup for breakfast.
Do keep us posted!
I've never tried it but a friend of mine said she uses the flaxseed meal to her whole wheat pastry flour for baking too & it helps with the moisture. I dunno, might be worth a try??
Post a Comment