I've tried two loaves this week. They've been disasters. The first loaf was supposed to rise over the top of my loaf pan and it only rose halfway. The second loaf rose a bit better but I fell asleep while it was baking and it burned. Certainly not my best move. But I'm not down and out yet. I've been pleasantly surprised that bread baking doesn't take the effort I thought it would involve. The dough does a lot of the work on its own and needs little attention. So that discovery alone is keeping me motivated. I'm going to try again on Friday. I have a recipe for Vermont Maple Oatmeal Sandwich Bread that is calling my name. Doesn't that sound perfect for fall? I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully better than this short and squatty loaf:

Wish me luck.
4 comments:
Oh my gosh, LOL!! You fell asleep while the bread was baking!! So funny. That little squatty loaf looks pretty good! Hey, did you have a lot of mormon friends in AZ like i did? I remember all their moms used to bake all their own bread, daily!! And, i remember they usd to use old coffee cans, so the bread came out round! Maybe you should give that a try!!
Keep us posted! -Kellianne :)
such a funn picture. the bread doesn't look too small, the pan looks like it came from the kitchen of the giant from jack and the beanstock!
Hey, I have a great recipe for bread that you can add a whole bunch of good stuff too--flax seed, oats, wheat flour, you name it, you can add it and it turns out great! Let me know if you want it :)
Glad to hear it is the kind of weather there to make bread--we actually had to turn on our a/c yesterday. ugh.
Coby
Kellianne - yes, most of my friends growing up in AZ were Mormon but I don't remember any bread baking in coffee cans. But you're onto something. If I could get coffee into my bread, hey, that could be a real winner. Then maybe I wouldn't fall asleep as much.
D - You're right. The loaf pan looks gigantic! Needless to say, I'm no photography expert. Lucy can take better pictures than me (but then again, she's a GENIUS). : )
Cobes - I'd love your bread recipe! And I still need to pass along my lentil and brown rice recipe - I'll do that today. I'm so forgetful.
Post a Comment