Monday, October 27, 2008

A Love Letter

Dear Bacon,

Sunday nights are a dismal dinner night in the Finnell household. We are usually scrambling to put a decent meal together after putting off going to the store during the weekend. Cereal and eggs are usually a sure bet. You must be well aware it’s Sunday by your empty surroundings in the fridge. Last night was no different as we put together some turkey sandwiches which were altogether boring and uninspired – simply a way to fill the stomach.

In a stroke of genius, we decided to fry you up and allow you to sit piggyback on our sandwiches. Bacon, you never let me down. You turned a utilitarian exercise of fending off hunger pangs into a pleasurable experience that I could do over and over again. Seriously, if my arteries wouldn’t object I would invite you over every night. You have a way of making things better. I know you get a lot of flack for your questionable health benefits (okay, so you have no health benefits) but you make up for it in sheer panache. You can turn a salad into an event; a sandwich into a party; and don’t even get me started on the virtues of your presence in pasta carbonara. I wish I could eat you all the time but perhaps I would tire of you. Plus, I kind of like my arteries free and clear. For now, I will enjoy you in moderation and savor every bite. Fortunately, a little of you goes a long way to make me happy.

Bacon, thanks for being the life of the party. You never fail to bring a lot to the table.

Your friend,

Edie

7 comments:

Lisa P said...

Your love affair with food is such a thing of joy that it makes me smile!

And so true on the bacon as well.

Kristi said...

Have you ever tried turkey bacon? Some of it tastes like cardboard...but there is 1 brand that is quite good. Sadly, I can not think of said brand. Sigh. Maybe next time...

Dionne Sincire said...

QI never met a piece of bacon that I didn't like. Here's to swine!

Diane Davis said...

it is an exaggeration but bacon is so great it could make cilantro taste good. ok, not really, but you get the point. bacon is king.

Scott Family said...

I love this love letter! I have to say that last Spring my brother came to visit us and he had to bring some medicine for Gary which must remain refrigerated. Well, he surprised us with lining the cooler with 3 lbs. of bacon that he had frozen and used like a freezer pack! Oh, what a beautiful thing it was to taste bacon again in a country of no pork! I could have used your love letter then :)

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

lol. too funny.

You failed to mention that even bacon cold from the fridge by itself is delictable. What other food can do such things?

Anonymous said...

Since I spend my days evaluating the writing of students, I know this lovely essay of love would earn high marks - very creative!

You crack me up!!!