Monday, October 6, 2008

Scary Times Call for Scarry Measures

Lately I've been a news junkie and Friday was an all-time low. I spent all day surfing between CNN.com, MSNBC.com and WSJ.com reading news about the bailout, the Citi-Wells-Wachovia brawl, and the VP debate summaries. Any free moment I had was spent at the computer reading much of what I already read or heard on the radio, waiting for anything new to come my way. Needless to say, I've felt pretty frazzled and incredibly cynical.

Enter I Am A Bunny.



We got Lucy a new book yesterday and she is obsessed with it. I Am A Bunny is illustrated by Richard Scarry and tells the story of a little bunny experiencing life during each season. Spring is filled with flowers and butterflies; summer with ripe berries, dandelions in the wind and sunshine; autumn with falling leaves and squirrels preparing for winter; winter with the falling snow and sleep. Lucy loves the book and I'm growing to love it, too. It calms me as I remember the goodness that can be found in nature and the predictability of the seasons. Reading this book is better than aromatherapy - it quiets me and the illustrations remind me of my own childhood.

So I've decided I'm going to balance my reading of the news with some children's and young adult literature for a little while. I'm not swearing off the news - I think it's incredibly important to be mindful of what is going on in the world. However, I need some balance and reminders of goodness right now. I've often turned to children's literature in times of uncertainty in my life simply because the purity of these stories comfort my soul. I've found that good children's literature often overflows with stories of hope without shying away from tragedy, inspiring readers with characters that are brimming with optimism and the unlimited potential to do good. Right now I want to be reminded of Bilbo's courage, Laura's determination and Meg's individualism. In a time when unpredictability reigns I want to balance the news with adventures that warm my soul with optimism, rather than reading another editorial where my worst fears are confirmed and my cynicism increases. Honestly, I'm not trying to put my head in the sand. But when fear and hopelessness seem to dominate the headlines it's good to be reminded that goodness and beauty are a part of this world, too.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I can TOTALLY relate to this. I too am a news junkie, although between both of these crazy politicians and wall street falling apart, I'm losing hope in everything....so children's literature is a good way out.

We have this book and enjoy it. Although, the fave around here right now is 'Elephant goes to School, and the Napping House." It's good to be reminded of how simple life is to our kids. They just need a good story and some time to play.

How refreshing.

Diane Davis said...

Such a great post. so, what are some of your favorite children's books and young adult literature? Do tell...

I'll start:

-- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engel

edie said...

I could go on and on but some of my favorites are: The Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Any young adult fiction by Madeleine L'Engle, especially A Ring of Endless Light
The Giving Tree
Johnny Tremaine
The Wind in the Willows
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Watership Down
Anne books
I almost feel like including The Hobbit and the Chronicles is cliche but they are certainly in that bunch, too. I'm sure I forgot some but there's a start. I'm going to begin reading The Penderwicks tonight. I'm looking forward to it.