One of my favorite things in our home is an illuminated manuscript with the words of a prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. Reading this prayer allows me to breathe deep and focus my efforts on what matters in life. Today at church this prayer was sung by a soloist and I was once again reminded of the power of these words. As we face a week of uncertainty, I thought it was worth sharing.
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.
Peace be with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing! Beautiful. Today we were reminded that God is ALWAYS faithful and has been keeping his promises, even amidst uncertainty, for many years. And so we continue to trust and obey.
Amen! Reminds me a lot of the prayer of serenity. If I may publish it in my comment:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
I love that prayer, Edie. It must have been beautiful put to music. Thanks for posting!
Post a Comment