Monday, August 25, 2008

Lucy's Musical Tastes

Many children love to hear their parents sing. In following the sage advice of most parenting books, we've sang lots of tunes - Old MacDonald, This Old Man, Where is Thumbkin - we've covered them all over the course of Lucy's life. In fact, singing Wheels on the Bus was the one thing we could do to calm Lucy in the car when she was a newborn.

Those days are over. And I'll tell you why.

During last season's American Idol, my dear friend Kristen made me a CD with a selection of songs performed by Carly Smithson. Lucy LOVES Carly. She could listen to Carly's performance of Blackbird by the Beatles all day long. In fact, if she's upset all I have to do is say, "Let's play the Blackbird song" and Lucy gets positively giddy. It's quite cute.

Here's the problem.

In a nutshell, if you aren't good enough to get a recording contract Lucy wants nothing to do with you. And I mean, nothing. It started off kind of cute. Dave would sing along with Blackbird and Lucy would vigorously shake her head "NO." I mean, who can blame her? Who wants their favorite song ruined by someone singing along in the car ? But this week I would sing to her some silly songs and she would shake her head "NO." I thought she might not be serious. Until yesterday morning when I sang The Wheels on the Bus and she began to shake her head and cry. And not like I-Want-A-Different-Song Cry. More like Mama-You're-Hurting-My-Ears Cry. Talk about your all-time confidence boosters.

I'm trying to comfort myself with the fact my daughter has distinct musical preferences. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's a little discouraging when your daughter prefers silence to the sound of your singing voice.

6 comments:

Ben & Leah Weins said...

This is just too funny, Edes! Will you be able to let the dream die of singing the pie song to Lucy while you work on a chocolate silk creation?

Kristi said...

Oh man. That is too much. Our girls get mad if we sing along to their songs too...

In other news...maybe Carly would be available for Lucy's bday. Can you imagine how excited Lucy would be? She might even forgive your singing for awhile. :o)

Lisa P said...

Oh dear! Theo does reject my efforts often because I'm constantly making up songs as we go--and if they don't rhyme exactly, he's outta there. But at least I still get to sing!

Sarah said...

Well, I have personally witnessed that if you add the word "poop" to a song, any child will positively love you and laugh like you're the funniest person alive.

Not that we allow our children to exhibit such potty mouths.

I'm just saying.

Diane Davis said...

you must keep singing. show her who's the boss. it wouldn't be a finnell baby without your quirky little songs.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

You should tape record her voice and see if it passes judgment :P