Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Procrastination

Do you procrastinate? Are you one of those people under the false delusion that your best work happens the night before a deadline? If so, stop kidding yourself and read this article. Embrace your inability to work ahead of the game.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was gonna leave a comment yesterday but was surfing the web until late and then had to finish some work. So now it's tomorrow and I only have time for a quick comment. I thought this article was waaaaay off-base. Who says that procrastinators don't plan well? I'd like to see some research on ... oh I'm out of space... dang.

Sara said...

I stumbled onto your blog a few weeks back and have been a silent reader so far... but you never disappoint! I love "hearing" your take on life, and I love it even more that your posts usually make me laugh as well as make me think. I too, am quite the procrastinator, even though I convince myself I have good reason to put things off. It's great to catch up with you, Edie! I miss my Seattle friends.

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
edie said...

Gary - True procrastinators always want to see more research so they can delay the inevitable. Sounds like you are in denial. That's a problem because you will continually put off moving forward in the healing process. You keep kidding yourself.
BTW - it's really great to hear from you.

Sara - So great to hear from you, too! What a nice surprise. I hope you are doing well. You'll have to let me know how good those reasons to procrastinate seem an hour before your next deadline. : )

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

This is me! I am horribly horribly lazy (although the word procrastinator doesn't sound as bad, but they are one in the same in my book) .....and the fact that i am first trimester sick makes it even worse. Still trying to make my tax deadline, still needing to clean my closets, still needing to write thank you cards, still needing......the list goes on and on.

Diane Davis said...

when brian and i first moved in together, i'd tell him i couldn't do anything all weekend when i had a big paper due on monday. then i'd sit around all weekend watching shows marathons of America's Next Top Model. At 6pm on Sunday evening, my internal clock would then scream "IT'S TIME" and i would start writing and work through the night. of course i still tell brian that the time in front of the television was all part of the process since i was ruminating on the very important research i had yet to read. good times. i'm sooo glad grad school is over.

Dionne Sincire said...

I was just going to embrace my inability to do my best work at the last minute, right after I finish typing this comment..., I mean right after I'm done publishing this comment.., wait, right after I read just one more blog post.., on second thought...

Anonymous said...

Edie,
I was about the consider your comment that I was in denial but have decided to put it off until tomorrow for ... um ... really strategic reasons. But off the top of my head I'd have to say you're wrong. I plan on doing some research to support my ideas before my next big projects. I'm sure I can find some zinger wikipedia or blog articles to prove that procrastination is actually really efficient. ;)

Diane Davis said...

oh, and i kid you not... i used wikipedia in my masters project and they accepted it! yeah, that social work degree is quite intense!

Sarah said...

I'm putting off reading the link you posted ... I'm sure I'll get to it soon enough.

:)