Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Juxtaposition

AIG executives spend $440,000 at a weekend spa after company tanks and government bails them out.

90 year old woman shoots herself in her foreclosed home.

Unbridled greed and utter despair.
Power and powerlessness.

Not to diminish the sentiment of my earlier post but I don't think The Penderwicks can help ease the anger and sadness I feel in my gut right now.

4 comments:

Alli said...

I know, it makes me want to throw up. We know people who are nearing retirement and have lost much of it because of the banks going under. Meanwhile, CEOs are walking away with millions of retirement and "layoff" dollars. How much of this bailout money is going to the people and how much is going to the uppity-ups at the banks? And who pays for this "bailout"? We, the people, in the form of taxes and higher prices on consumer goods. So, we can all sit here with the knowledge that we essentially are trading in our homes, retirement, and credit so that bankers can have a spa day and a mansion. Nice ...

Diane Davis said...

EDIE:
Step away from the news and pick up James and the Giant Peach (another one I loved growing up!).

Yeah, the AIG thing disgusted me.

Diane Davis said...

SNL was on last night. During the Weekend News Update they talked about AIG. They said AIGS excuse that the event was planned before the bailout is like having the scheduled birthday party for granny two weeks after she dies. Funny stuff.

Diane Davis said...

Oh, and I must tell you, I LOVE THAT QUOTE about cats being a waste of space on the planet... ;)