I'd like to point out that I would not have succeeded without the King Arthur Flour Baker's Hotline. Yes, I called a baker's hotline and I know I'm a dork. But seriously, it's not like the art of bread baking is being passed down through generations anymore. Desperate times call for desperate measures, people. Laura at King Arthur saved me from one more disaster. She let me know the right consistency and how best to measure my flour. Baking bread may eventually become an art but for now it is serious science and I need all the help I can get. Thanks, Laura. If I could send a slice to Vermont I would do it.
Here's a little plug for King Arthur Flour. I first heard of this product when I moved to the Boston area. Dave and I visited a small church and I met a woman who told me one of the best things about living in New England was having access to King Arthur Flour. I thought, you've got to be kidding. Flour? Dave and I laughed about this comment afterward but we did end up buying a bag. It's great stuff and King Arthur's cookbooks are even better. Seriously, the oatmeal cookie and chocolate crinkle recipes in their Cookie Companion are worth the price of the book. You can find some great recipes at their web site, too, so stop by when you want to bake something special.

Fingers crossed...

We have lift-off

Can it rise again?

Oh yes it can.

Pass the butter. It may be on the ugly side but it is very tasty.
10 comments:
Oh! I must send you the West Wings. There is an episode where President Bartlet calls the Butterball Hotline...
The bread looks very tasty.
BTW... I LOVE Fresca! It IS such a refreshing drink. I hear it is good with a splash of grape vodka too. :)
Di, you have all the West Wings!? I must borrow.
Edie, those loaves look fantastic! I'm feeling inspired. Where'd you get the recipe? congrats!
And I, TOO, love the Fresca! Original or peach.
Edie!
So glad you persevered--there is nothing quite so satisfying as a homemade loaf of bread. I have my Great-grandma's recipe that is pretty simple, and it's never failed on me. I love it, but mostly because it does represent a family that has passed down bread-baking. That is a rare thing, these days.
And for the record, the fact that you called the hotline makes me love you even more!
Okay, Edie and Lisa! I need your bread recipes. You have inspired me. I will call the Edie hotline.
Thanks for the update on the bread. I wondered if you were going to try again! I am lauging at the "bread hotline"!! What do they say when they aswer?? To funny!! Good job on the bread, it looks yummy. I also heard there are such things as actual bread makers....you just pour the ingredients in an voila! (I didn't know that til recently)! -Kellianne :)
Wow! I admire your will and determination. I baked a cake once, things turned out very badly, and that was my last encounter with a baked dish of any kind. My husband suffers terribly, especially since he's a French national and baked goods is all they ever seem to eat. Well, Se la vie! :) BTW, the bread looks delicious.
Great job Edes! I love reading your blog. You always put a smile on my face (well really you make me lol), or you make me think. I have a great recipe for "favorite fruit bread." A friend of mine makes it for her toddler so she can get more fruits and veggies in. I miss you my friend!
I was totally inspired by your post, so I went to the King Arthur website and found an excellent scone recipe that I made last night! Delicious!
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. That's almost better than my bread success. Almost.
Jen - the recipe is from my trusty King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion cookbook. However, I found a link to the recipe here:
http://theflouredapron.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/vermont-oatmeal-maple-honey-bread/
I used brown sugar and a 9x5 loaf pan and it turned out great. Good luck!
I look forward to trying some homemade bread at Thanksgiving!
With real butter of course!!
Dave, football, MacGyver, etc. . . brings back the memories. .
Post a Comment