Thursday, July 17, 2008

Belly Beauty

So there is a commercial on tv that drives me crazy. It’s for some stretch mark cream and begins saying, “pregnancy is a beautiful thing.” Enter tone change. “But it can leave ugly stretch marks.” Ugly? Did I hear that right?

I beg to differ, or at least I want to anyways.

My lower abdomen is covered with marks and the days of the two-piece suit are quite over. If I do a sit-up it looks like there’s a little man smiling at me with my belly button as his open mouth. But I’m trying not to see them as ugly. They are a part of my history and they tell a story. With Lucy, my 28 week appointment showed her growth as below the 10th percentile and the doctors worried they would need to take her early. I began going to weekly appointments with ultrasounds and non-stress tests to make sure she was okay. It goes without saying that we were anxious and we wanted so badly to be able to just relax and enjoy the pregnancy. But at 36 weeks, Lucy jumped in growth, going from the 9th to 38th percentile. We were estatic and relieved. And that quick growth left behind bright red stretch marks that looked like I’d been clawed by a wild cat. But honestly, I really didn’t care at that point.

Now that swimsuit season is in full swing, I find myself caring. And it makes me angry that I struggle with caring. Really, shouldn’t these lines be embraced? They tell of story of love, of loss, of sacrifice, of beauty, and pain. They are a reminder of my identity, my history, and my present responsibilty. But sadly, their story can be easily negated by the desire to fit into our culture’s understanding of beauty. The fact that many would make unheard of sacrifices to see these marks on their own bodies is forgotten in the quest to make them disappear. And although it’s certainly liberating to be honest about having stretch marks and wanting them to less visible, it’s even more liberating to question the cultural aestethic from which these thoughts arise and attempt to evaluate beauty from a perspective that might not be informed by a culture that values youth over age. Yes, it’s quite unlikely that I’ll be showing off my belly again in this lifetime, even if I come to terms with my marks. But hopefully I can learn to see these lines as something beautitful because of what they represent and the nature in which they can bring me to a place of gratitude and thankfulness.

As I humbly embark on the journey of teaching my daughter the values of beauty, these ‘flaws’ can remind me to challenge our culture’s ideals in the hope that she will embrace an aesthetic that is informed by what is true and noble, rather than one informed by marketers making millions on the hope that she will feel insecure about the inherent beauty of her body. Yes, easier said than done. But I certainly want to give it a shot.

8 comments:

Diane Davis said...

i have many days where i think "edie just made my day." this is one of those moments.

Lisa P said...

"Yes, easier said than done."

When it's not my problem personally, I can easily think that others shouldn't struggle with it. But then when I experience it myself, I realize how much I, too, am wrapped up in our culture's ideals. Wouldn't it be great if we could have the wisdom that comes with living and learning through our 30's, 40's and 50's while we were still in our 20's?

Thanks for sharing that story. I had forgotten it.

Brazenlilly said...

Oh, Edie, I'm so glad you started a blog. :) I can tell it will be one of my faves. I don't know a mother (because all the skinny celebs are not in my personal friendship circle) who doesn't struggle with these same issues. The kids are perhaps the best thing to happen to our lives...and yet we feel pressure to erase any physical proof that they actually came from our bodies! At least you and I live in the Pacific NW where bikinis aren't as plentiful as in So. Cal. ;)

Scott Family said...

Gary has asked me not to color the gray hair that continues to show through my hair more and more. As he said, "You have earned those well!" And I agree!! (Altho, wait one more year when I am back in the States again and we'll see if I continue to agree! HAHA) I also have what I call a "second belly button" due to my gall bladder surgery I just had in January. They are our badges of honor and the life we have aged through. Like emotional & spiritual wounds the Lord has healed over and built a redeemed life on, they are what makes us who we are. But, as Lisa said, sometimes the embracing of these things are easier said than done. I, too, hope I continue to embrace that my daughter and son will learn that.

Jewels said...

Edie,

I saw your blog on Diane's list of friends. Thanks so much for writing about stretch marks. I am 30 weeks pregnant and each day I look in the mirror and think what a bummer stretch marks are. I have put all kinds of stuff on them but they continue to grow. I have actually wanted to Blog about this subject but have yet to take the time. I think you are a wonderful addition to this blogging community. I love the way you write and I have always heard nothing but good things about you from Di- Julie

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

Edie- I am so glad I stumbled across your blog thru Lisa's. I love this post.......and wish more people thought this way. I have found my tankini to be matronly around my 40 something mommy's with their tiny little bikini's. These cute little mommy's all have trainers, and housekeepers and nannies. Just those three alone I think would take away all my war marks.

Unknown said...

Hey Edie,

I love your blog. I love the pictures of Lucy. She is so beautiful.

You are right about the stretch marks.

Talk to you later

Stephanie said...

Edie,

I loved this blog. Thank you for the great reminder,not only for me, but for what I want to teach my daughter. You are so right. Great, great thoughts. Love you.

Steph