Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Tale of Two Corporate Giants

Dave and I are convinced that Babies R’ Us is a little pocket of hell on earth. Although convenient in the world of one-stop baby shopping, I usually hate every minute I spend beneath those flourescent lights. This morning was no different. After dropping off my dad at the airport, I was in the neighborhood of BRU and thought I would take the plunge in order to get some summer pajamas for Lucy (I do realize this purchase is about a month late). Once again, I was cursing myself for being lured into the clutches of the ulitmate baby megastore as I sorted through pajamas unable to find Lucy’s size. After a less than ideal experience at the cash register and my worst expectations realized I left the store wanting to hit something.

Enter Starbucks.

Conveniently located next door is a Starbucks, strategically planted for the post-hell pick-me-up. I walked in, not really knowing what I wanted but feeling the need to treat myself after my visit to the underworld. And what do you know? CD’s were on sale for $7.95 providing the perfect answer to a generous gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I purchased some CD’s and had a conversation with a friendly barista about the merits of small children while sipping my free ice water. And to top it off, as I sat with Lucy another friendly barista offered us a sample of their new orange mango banana smoothie, the perfect complement to Lucy’s string cheese. Lucy was content. I was happy. It was good.

Starbucks, you have your faults and sometimes I don’t like you but today was not one of those days. Thanks for the love.

4 comments:

Diane Davis said...

i don't think i've ever been in a baby r us. and you know i'm not a huge fan of starbucks either... that is until you introduced me to that black tea lemonaid.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Edie, i love your blog....I can almost hear you talking...Ok, i totally agree about Babies R Us...most women with kids LOVE that place....i hate it! It makes you feel like you need one of everything in there, and if you don't have it, your kid will be deprived! It's a place you only venture to once a month for the must have's no one else carries...
-Kellianne :)

edie said...

Diane - I hope you think of me everytime you plop down that $3.00 for a drink.: )

Kellianne!! Thanks for sharing in the love - or hate for that matter. I must admit I didn't always hate BRU. Whereas for Dave it was hate at first sight I've developed a gradual disdain. Although at times a necessary evil, I do try and avoid it. And yes, you certainly don't need over half of the items marketed as 'must haves'. Hope your visits to the underworld are few and far between and pleasant when necessary!

Anonymous said...

I, too, have experienced a day at Babies 'R Us like that. The lights ARE dizzying, and don't even get me started on the nursing room...I liked the place A LOT more when I was anticipating a baby.

But, I thought I should need to share with you that, according to my barista husband, the Vivano is NOT a smoothie. He actually had to watch a whole promotional video on the drink...and Howard wanted to make it very clear that this drink was unique among all the protein packed, juicy drinks of the world.

Thanks for the post...hilarious!