Friday, July 11, 2008

Brownie Love

I love sharing food that brings me joy. I admit, I'm one of those people who push a little too hard for others to try the food on my plate. The same goes with recipes, which brings me to these brownies that I consumed last night. This is my failsafe brownie recipe that I turn to when I have a chocolate craving. If you are one who wants to cut down on your butter consumption or tries to sneak vegetable purees into your desserts, please read no further. These are fat bomb brownies at its finest, full of chocolate, sugar and butter love. This recipe is taken from Nancy Baggett's All American Cookie Book (a great and beautiful cookbook, btw) and I think you will love them. These aren't cakey but chewy, dense and fudgy with a shiny, craggily top and great mouthfeel. They are super easy to make and SO much better than that red box mix. Get yourself the ingredients and bake them the next time you have a chocolate urge. Today, if possible.

Fudge Brownie Supreme

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
5 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, broken up or coarsely chopped (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
2/3 cup all-purpose white flour
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened American-style cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan, or coat with nonstick spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhang two opposing sides of the pan by about 2 inches. Grease or spray foil with cooking spray.

In a large, microwave-safe bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate on 100-percent power for one minute. Stir well. Continue microwaving on 50-percent power, stirring at 30 second intervals. Stop microwaving before the chocolate completely melts, and let the residual heat finish the job. (Alternatively, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over lowest heat, stirring frequently being very careful not to burn. Immediately remove from heat.) Let cool to warm.

In a small bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and set aside. Stir the sugar and brown sugar into the chocolate-butter mixture until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, and stir until sugar dissolves and the mixture is well blended and smooth. Stir in the flour mixture just until evenly incorporated. Turn out the batter into the baking pan, spreading to the edges.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 28-33 minutes*, or until the center is almost firm when tapped and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean except for the bottom 1/4 inch which should still look moist. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until brownie is completely cooled. Refrigerate until well chilled.

Using the overhanging foil as handles, transfer the brownie to a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard foil. If desired, cut away and discard any overbaked edges. Using a large, sharp knife, cut the brownie into 12 bars, wiping knife clean between cuts.

Store in an airtight container for up to three days, or freeze for up to a month. If freezing, leave brownie slab whole and cut into bars when partially thawed.

*My oven might not be calibrated correctly but these brownies always take at least 36 minutes in my oven.

3 comments:

Lisa P said...

I love a shiny, craggily top!

edie said...

Me, too. I only like chewy brownies and cakey brownies usually have a matte top. Cakey brownies are not brownies at all. They are cake and a lame cake at that.

This blogging stuff is fun.

Kristi said...

WHAT? Brownies don't come out of a box????