Sunday, July 13, 2008

On the Merits of Pie

“When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not…mmmmm, boy!”
- Jack Handy

I made a pie this weekend. A strawberry-rhubarb pie, to be exact, which is a fruit combination that I wish I had discovered much earlier in life. My dad is visiting this weekend so I thought it would be nice to have a little special something on hand.

Which brings me to the merits of pie.



A pie is not the glamourous member of the dessert family. In a world of chocolate lavender baked goods and pomegranate green tea concoctions, the fruit pie is the trusty old station wagon of the dessert world and the shy girlfriend of the girl next door. And I must say, I love that girlfriend of mine. While swanky desserts may have their place, the fruit pie beckons in a unpretentious and calming voice, Come over and pull up a chair. Sit down and stay awhile.
Will do.



I had almost given up pie making last year. Everytime I made a crust it crumbled and was impossible to work with (cookbooks always caution against overworking the dough but they rarely discuss the frustration in underworking). However, Dave’s grandmother saved me from signing off from the pie making world. She taught me to work the dough and I still remember her saying, “you gotta work it. Really work it.” I remember that mantra now everytime I make a piecrust and there is truly something special about remembering the instructions from someone wiser and more skilled, who probably learned the same thing from her mother or grandmother. Pies used to be a necessary answer to the question,“What are we going to do with all this fruit to keep it from going bad?” Today, the pie might be unnecessary, but that’s what I love about it - the simplicity of pie making makes me think about my rural Nebraskan roots and the frugal art of turning overripe fruit into something useful.



Lastly, the comforting nature of the pie gives way to conversation and the words spoken between bites often lead to friendship, at least in my experience. I bonded with one of my closest friends ten years ago when she decided to teach an aspiring but terrible cook the art of making pie crust. Four of our dearest friends are former neighbors who joined us for an apple pie shortly after moving next door and down the hall. And while I realize that pie is not the most health conscious food item to serve your loved ones, I suspect these friendships might not have been as lasting had we conversed around bowls of fat-free frozen yogurt (they may beg to differ but I know differently).



So the next time you are choosing between some trendy dessert and a humble slice of pie, choose the pie and rediscover an old friend. Or better yet, make a pie and invite over a loved one for a long chat. You’ll be glad you did.

Bon Appetit.

7 comments:

Diane Davis said...

this pie looks awesome. and i love your writing about it. glad you had a good time over pie with your dad.

i still count the indian dinner you made when i was there as my favorite dinner of the year.

you do have mad skills.

Kristi said...

Edie - I'm so glad you have a blog...It's fun to read.

Secondly, your blog makes me want pie. We just moved to a spot that has a pie store within walking distance...dangerous. We've only had 1 family come over since we moved (I suppose it is hard to have guests when you have to leave your house and stay in a hotel...) But, I did go buy a pie for the one family.

I wish I had the time to make one. That looks like fun.

I LOVE strawberry pie. It's really the only kind I eat.

Lastly...on the subject of pies...did you see the movie WAITRESS? Maybe not the most moral film of all time...but she makes some amazing pies!

edie said...

Diane - The dinner was good but the conversation was better. That was a great night.

Kristi - I love that you love pie. And I love that you liked Waitress. Dave and I both really enjoyed that movie. I especially loved the song she would sing to her little girl. In fact, I've been meaning to learn it so I can sing it to Lucy, perhaps someday while we're making pies... Thanks for the encouragement, Kristi!

Lisa P said...

You make a pretty pie, my friend!

Brazenlilly said...

Yum. I heart strawberry-rhubarb pie too. And how come I didn't know you have a blog? Well, the word is out now. Consider yourself linked.

Alli said...

Edie, you should write a book about pie and friendship. Seriously, you are a poet!
Love you and glad to have stumbled upon your blog while visiting Team Pologeo!

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

I am so freakin jealous....you know how to make pie. I am completely intimidated by it and fear I will never have enough courage to try,

That pie looked yummmy.

Loved the waitress and the song Keri Russell sings made me cry.